A new law on cookies demands that you, as a website user are given the opportunity to understand how cookies are used on our websites and consent to cookies being stored on your computer (laptop/mobile/tablet)
What are cookies?
A cookie is a small file containing a string of characters that is sent to your computer when you visit a website. When you visit the site again, the cookie allows that site to recognize your browser. Cookies may store user preferences and other information.
Cookies provide a convenience feature to save you time or tell the Web server that you have returned to a specific page. For example, if you personalize pages on our Websites, or register for the Subscription Service, a cookie helps us to recall your specific information on subsequent visits. When you return to the same Website, the information you previously provided can be retrieved, so you can easily use the customized features.
Cookies set by the website owner (in this case, GYC) are called "first party cookies". Cookies set by parties other than the website owner are called "third party cookies".
Third party cookies enable third party features or functionality to be provided on or through the website (e.g. like advertising, interactive content and analytics). The parties that set these third party cookies can recognise your computer both when it visits the website in question and also when it visits certain other websites.
- avoid lengthy registration/personalisation of the site each time you visit and personalise it to suit your requirements
- recognise you when you login and make it easier for you to access your account information
- estimate Our audience size and patterns
- ensure that you are not asked to register twice
- control how often visitors see similar adverts
- track preferences and to improve and update Our websites
- track the progress and number of entries in some of Our promotions and contests.
What types of cookies do we use?
The specific types of first and third-party cookies served through our Websites and the purposes they perform.
These cookies include:
- Essential website cookies: These cookies are strictly necessary to provide you with services available through our Websites, Subscription Service and Mobile Apps and to use some of its features, such as access to secure areas.
- Performance and functionality cookies: These cookies are used to enhance the performance and functionality of our Websites, Subscription Service and Mobile Apps but are non-essential to their use. However, without these cookies, certain functionality may become unavailable.
- Analytics and customisation cookies: These cookies collect information that is used either in aggregate form to help us understand how our Websites, Subscription Service and Mobile Apps are being used or how effective our marketing campaigns are, or to help us customise our Websites for you.
- Social networking cookies: These cookies are used to enable you to share pages and content that you find interesting on our Websites, Subscription Service or Mobile Apps through third party social networking and other websites. These cookies may also be used for advertising purposes too.
How can I control cookies?
You have the right to decide whether to accept or reject cookies. You can exercise your cookie preferences by clicking on the appropriate opt-out links provided below.
Where can I get more information?
Further information about cookies can be found at Interactive Advertising Bureau
Our websites may feature embedded ‘share’ buttons to enable users to easily share articles with their friends through a number of popular social networks. These sites may set a cookie when you are also logged in to their service. We do not control the dissemination of these cookies and you should check the relevant third party Website for more information about these.