Thames Watermen and river workers founded Greenwich Yacht Club in Greenwich on the 12th March 1908. The Clubhouse was situated for many years on the beach adjacent to the current clubhouse. Originally, it was a beached Thames Sailing Barge "Iverna", then later a hut on the Mudlarks Way beach (see pictures in the club bar). In more recent times we were based in what is now referred to as the "old clubhouse" at the end of River Way near The Pilot pub. The premises were then acquired by English Partnerships to form part of the site for the Millennium Dome. English Partnerships provided the club with new facilities on the then redundant Peartree Wharf.
Greenwich Yacht Club took possession of the site early in November 1999 with temporary clubrooms in what is now the landside function rooms and this was where we celebrated the Millennium. We finally moved across to our splendid clubhouse standing on the Thames, in June 2000.
Today our club is one of the most successful yacht clubs on the Thames with more than 400 members. We are an official RYA Training Centre offering shore based and practical courses. The club has a strong contingent of active cruising yachts, dinghies, rowing cutters and motorboats. Our annual cruise to the East Coast of England is one of the biggest sailing events in our calendar. Throughout the year the club organises and competes in a many different races on the Thames for dinghies, yachts, and our rowers. Our riverside function rooms are a sought-after venue for weddings, conferences, events and parties – booked months in advance. The club has diverse social events all year round. We have activities open to the wider community such as our 'Open House' and RYA 'Push the Boat Out' events.
There is never a dull moment in Greenwich Yacht Club.