Next Dayskipper Theory course starts on the 13th September - 1900 - 2200. 10 week course. Book here
Lots of work going on still refitting the training yacht. We've added a new rescue platform on the stern and have removed all gas. The work is looking like it will be complted later in the year so we will be starting our practical cruising training early next season. Have a look at our current calendar and then use Meetup to book.
Two GYC members, Nicola and Tim are taking part in the 2017/18 around the world clipper race.
There are 8 legs/races to conplete and they left Liverpool on Sunday 20th August for leg 1 to Uruguay.
Nicola and Tim are on the same boat - Great Britain, and the skipper, Andy opted to play their joker on this race to double their points, so it is important that they do well on this leg. So far they have done just that, lying secont place at present.
10 TIPS FOR STAYING SAFE ON THE RIVER
1. Wear a lifejacket that will inflate or a buoyancy aid that will take your weight
2. Wear appropriate footwear
3. Take a hand held radio or phone in a waterproof case
4. Tell someone where you are going
5. Ensure your tender is sea worthy
6. Always use your ‘kill cord’
7. Secure any luggage or large items that you may be transporting
8. On arrival, approach into the tide and secure tender with a bowline to your boat. Consider using a stern line as well
9. When secured. Choose your moment to disembark, check for passing clippers or wash to subside
10. Remember, one hand for you and one for the boat