Day Skipper Theory Starts Tuesday 15th Book here
Keel Boat Level 2: Sat/Sun 19th-20th Oct Book here
VHF Radio: Saturday 26th Oct Book here
First Aid Sunday 17th Nov Book here
RYA the basics
The Club is a Royal Yachting Association recognised teaching establishment. We teach the basic dinghy and keel boat courses out on the Thames, with our own qualified instructors, and have partnerships with training organisations that offer Power Boat, VHF, First Aid and Day Skipper courses.
The next Day Skipper course starts on october 15th, It will run for eight Tuesdays, followed by an assessment weekend . If you would like to join a course click here, which will take you to Nomad Sailing's web site. Look for bookings and fill in the form (there is discount rate for GYC club members)..
Our powerboat courses are run by Tony Mason of Thames Active. Tony is a club member and full time professional trainer - himself trained by some of London's finest sailors.
First Aid and VHF radio
These courses will be run twice a year and details and online bookings are on the calendar.
If you want to know more about any of our classes please feel free to come and speak to Brian Harrisson, or to Steve Wilson. They can be found around the club on Tuesday nights, out on the water, or contacted via the website.
1. Wear a lifejacket that will inflate or a buoyancy aid that will take your weight
2. Wear appropriate footwear
3. Take a hand held radio or phone in a waterproof case
4. Tell someone where you are going
5. Ensure your tender is sea worthy
6. Always use your ‘kill cord’
7. Secure any luggage or large items that you may be transporting
8. On arrival, approach into the tide and secure tender with a bowline to your boat. Consider using a stern line as well
9. When secured. Choose your moment to disembark, check for passing clippers or wash to subside
10. Remember, one hand for you and one for the boat