Happy New Year everyone. There's going to be a lot happening on the training front this year. We will be launching our refitted 42' training yacht in the spring and then running a range of practical courses and mile building trips. Our theory courses for the year will be starting with Dayskipper on the 11th January. Have a look at our calendar and then use Meetup to book.
Thames21 mobilise thousands of volunteers every year to clean and green London’s 400 mile network of waterways.
Thames21 is willing to share their knowledge and skills with us by offering a free training course on how to conduct a safe river clean up. Sounds like just the sort of thing good stewards of the Thames should be doing.
If you’d like to join in the training course on 25 February and 5 March (10am to 3pm each day), please contact Nigel Jollands. Hurry while places last!
10 TIPS FOR STAYING SAFE ON THE RIVER
1. Wear a lifejacket that will inflate or a buoyancy aid that will take your weight
2. Wear appropriate footwear
3. Take a hand held radio or phone in a waterproof case
4. Tell someone where you are going
5. Ensure your tender is sea worthy
6. Always use your ‘kill cord’
7. Secure any luggage or large items that you may be transporting
8. On arrival, approach into the tide and secure tender with a bowline to your boat. Consider using a stern line as well
9. When secured. Choose your moment to disembark, check for passing clippers or wash to subside
10. Remember, one hand for you and one for the boat